At Cristal, we are committed to be exemplary in our Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Performance.
We manage our worldwide businesses and facilities focusing on the protection of the environment, and the safety and health of employees, contractors, customers, and the public. We believe all workplace injuries, illnesses and adverse environmental impacts are preventable. SHE Excellence is a global value which unites our company and contributes to our sustainability.
In support of this policy, we are committed to:
Legislative & Standards Compliance
- Meet or exceed all applicable laws, regulations and company standards of those countries where we do business.
Workplace and SHE Accountability
- Make health, safety, protection of the environment, sustainability and security the direct responsibility and accountability of all employees, contractors and visitors. Working in a safe, healthy, secure and environmentally responsible manner is an indispensable condition of employment or contract.
- Take appropriate measures to maintain a safe and healthy workplace, operate our facilities in an environmentally responsible manner and assure safe and secure supply chain practices.
- Promote and encourage safety, health and wellness programs on and off the job.
- Provide workplace policies, standards, procedures and training to ensure that employees and contractors can perform their jobs in a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible manner.
- Implement the principles of risk analysis and risk management in all areas of health, safety, process safety and environmental protection by assessing and mitigating SHE impacts before starting new activities or projects.
- Empower all employees and contractors to stop a task or process until identified SHE issues are resolved or mitigated.
- Drive pollution prevention to minimize the need for costly pollution control equipment, improve operational efficiency and provide greater protection to the environment.
Sustainability and Resource Conservation
- Incorporate product stewardship in our product and process development efforts and decision-making processes in a way that reduces the impact of our products and processes on the environment and customers and complies with regulatory requirements for importation and sale.
- Actively participate in communities and support our employees’ efforts to positively impact the quality of life locally and beyond.
SHE Excellence through Continuous Improvement
- Investigate incidents to determine root causes and take prompt and appropriate actions to correct deficiencies. Communicate the knowledge gained and lessons learned to prevent recurrence in the company.
- Periodically review the Safety, Health and Environmental Management System with special emphasis on possible improvements.
- Conduct benchmarking to ensure we are at the forefront of strategies and processes to continuously improve our SHE performance.
- Establish measurable SHE objectives to drive continuous improvement, and routinely communicate the progress against objectives.
- Promote discussion and sharing of best practices across all company facilities.
- Actively engage in dialogue with our stakeholders to promote safety, health, security and environmental outcomes which are mutually acceptable and fully compliant with regulations.